Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation

VPUE’s First-Year Survey is currently live

First-year students, please share your perspective on life at Stanford and get entered in a gift-card drawing.

Help, I have an enrollment hold!

Main content start

If you have an enrollment hold on your account, you won't be able to sign up for classes on Axess or make changes to your course schedule.  Here's our advice on what to do if you should find yourself with an enrollment hold.

Types of enrollment holds

Some enrollment holds are placed by Academic Advising, and require you to meet with an Academic Advisor before the hold can be lifted.  These include holds related to Academic Progress statuses and to undeclared Junior statuses. But not every hold is an Advising hold!

Holds can be placed by other offices too.  Student Financial Services may place an enrollment hold on your account if you have an unpaid tuition bill, for example.  Or the Bechtel International Center may place a hold on your account if you are an international student who needs to update their SEVIS information.  Vaden Health Center may place holds related to health information and vaccination status. Many different types of holds are possible, and require different actions to lift them.  Note that your Academic Advisor cannot lift holds that have been placed by other offices.

Be on the lookout for one hold in particular: the Student Information Update hold.  This hold is placed on all students once a year by the Registrar's office.  To lift the hold, all you have to do is update your student information on Axess.  Only you can take this action-- your Academic Advisor cannot lift this hold for you!

What to do if you have an enrollment hold

  1. Check AXESS for more information about your hold. You can usually click on the hold to see what office has placed the hold, what steps you need to take, and whom to contact.
  2.  Reach out to the office or individual that has placed the hold and take any necessary actions to resolve it (e.g. paying your tuition bill, updating your student information, scheduling an advising meeting, etc).
  3. Contact your Academic Advisor if the enrollment hold is preventing you from making any desired changes to your Study List by an enrollment deadline, such as the Week 3 Add/Drop deadline or the Week 8 Withdraw and Grading Basis deadline (Enrollment Deadlines)
  4. Talk with your Academic Advisor to ask questions and get advice on next steps.  For example, if you can't enroll in a class but intend to join, you may want to reach out to the instructor to let them know and to stay caught up on course work and announcements.

Pay attention to financial holds

If you have an unpaid amount on your university bill, this can result in a financial hold being placed on your account.  Until it's resolved, a financial hold will prevent you from enrolling in classes, making enrollment changes to your current courses, or graduating with your diploma.

If you have a financial hold, you should submit a HelpSU ticket to the Student Services Center ASAP to get more information on what you owe and how to get your hold lifted.  You may also want to make an appointment with the Financial Aid Office to discuss your financial aid package, or to explore taking out a loan if necessary.  

Financial holds have big consequences!  Remember that if you’re not enrolled in classes, you aren’t eligible for financial aid or other university services, you can’t earn any course units, and you will be asked to leave campus housing as well as pay the bill for all the housing charges you have accrued so far.  If it doesn't seem like you can resolve your financial hold quickly, you may want to consider taking a Leave of Absence.  

If you still want to enroll in classes, you must resolve any financial holds as soon as possible, while also attending any classes you may want to take, even though you’re not enrolled yet.  It's very important that you don't fall behind-- keep attending, submitting assignments, and participating in your desired classes during this time!  Below is a template email you can send to your instructors to help explain your situation and make sure you stay caught up in the class.

Keep your instructors in the loop

If you want to enroll in classes this quarter but can't yet because of an enrollment hold, it's important to communicate early with your instructors about your situation.  Send them an email like the following:

Dear Professor So-and-So,

My name is [NAME] and due to an administrative issue I am currently unable to enroll in classes. I am connected with campus support resources and am actively working to resolve the issue. As soon as this matter is resolved, I intend to enroll in your class. Unless you object, I would like to attend class, and to complete and submit all class assignments. Will you please grant me access to the course Canvas site and other materials so that I do not fall behind?



CC: [UAD NAME], Undergraduate Advising Director

Ask your UAD for help if you need it!

We know that resolving an enrollment hold can be a confusing experience, especially if the quarter's already begun and you're not enrolled in classes.  If you're feeling stuck or you're not sure what to do next, it's always a good idea to reach out to your Undergraduate Advising Director for support.  Even if we can't lift the hold directly, we can help you figure out your options and what next steps you need to take.  

See also


Return to the Advising Student Handbook